felix-dev mailing list archives

From Clement Escoffier <clement.escoff...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Next release of the Felix parent pom [1.1.0]
Date Sat, 18 Apr 2009 09:52:47 GMT
On 18.04.2009, at 11:41, Felix Meschberger wrote:

> Hi Stuart,
> Stuart McCulloch schrieb:
>> Hi,
>> I'd like to stage a new release of our parent pom (ie. pom/pom.xml)
>> - this
>> will exercise the new release process.
>> Are there any objections to starting this? Does anyone have any
>> changes they
>> would like to make to this pom?
>> Note that this isn't a vote on the actual release - I will start
>> that once
>> I've staged it using Nexus.
>> Also please hold off from any new releases until I've tried out the
>> new
>> process and documented it on the wiki :)
> Can we split the parent pom (definitions pertaining to all Felix
> projects) and reactor (<modules> section) functionalities into into
> two
> files by that matter ?
> We could for example create a reactor project at trunk, which stays at
> SNAPSHOT version for ever and which we can update as we see fit to
> accomodate new child projects.
> The actual parent pom would remain where it was and would be updated
> and
> released for release new general setup such as the deployment
> configuration.
> In addition it is IMO also a matter of separation of concerns (reactor
> vs. general setup). We have done this in the Sling and Jackrabbit
> projects with much success (IMHO).

I agree having two files:
- one with the reactor configuration and
- one with the release / project configuration
sounds good.

Projects should inherit of the release / project configuration pom file.

However, aren't we already in this mode ? Recently, I saw a pom file
in the Felix root (the reactor one ?) and one in the pom folder.

Another idea would to use -Pprofile name instead of -Dpackaging=xxx.
For example we can define a "default", a test profile, and an example
profile...  The -Dpackaging=xxx was introduced to turn around a bug in
Maven avoiding having different packaging types in a project. However,
this issue is now fixed. So, maybe we can just remove this separation.

> Regards
> Felix

View raw message