felix-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ApacheCon EU Felix BOF
Date Sun, 29 Mar 2009 21:09:37 GMT
On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 8:18 PM, Marcel Offermans
<marcel.offermans@luminis.nl> wrote:
> On Mar 29, 2009, at 20:59 , Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>
>> This project could also start as a subproject of felix and if there is
>> sufficient momentum around it, become a TLP later.  I think it is an
>> easier process ...

+1

there's a lot of momentum and interest ATM so let's not waste it by delay

> My main motivation for trying to become a TLP is that this project is not
> specific to Felix, plus other projects that just "use OSGi" are separate
> projects too. Even though the provisioning server is built on OSGi, it can
> provision more than just OSGi. Is it really that much easier for a proposal
> to get accepted if it's a subproject, given that we seem to have many
> different people interested in joining already?

a brand new TLP would require incubation and would take several weeks
to get going. i suspect that the scope of the incubation would be
difficult to get right. it might take quite a while before a suitable
proposal could be agreed.

provided that the components are in scope with

    A. Establish the Apache Felix Project

       open-source software implementing the OSGi Service Platform
       and other software that is associated with or related to
       the OSGi Service Platform for distribution at no charge to
       the public.

then the Felix PMC can add new products with low initial overhead so
long as it feels it can offer the required oversight. i would suggest
that the PMC approaches the board for guidance if the commons looks
like it's going to be popular.

- robert