felix-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move ServiceMix Kernel into Felix as a subproject
Date Mon, 30 Mar 2009 16:29:31 GMT
On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Guillaume Nodet <gnodet@gmail.com> wrote:

> During ApacheCon last week, there has been some discussions around
> moving ServiceMix Kernel as a subproject of Felix.
> ServiceMix Kernel is a packaged distribution of Felix designed for
> server side applications (see http://servicemix.apache.org/kernel/ for
> more informations).
>
> I think this would be beneficial for this project as it would enable
> to build a much bigger community around it, increase the visibility
> and the awareness around it. Of course, it would need a new name, but
> that's another problem.
> Another area that could be included in this move is the ServiceMix
> specs (OSGi enhanced versions of Java EE specifications from Geronimo)
> and ServiceMix bundles (we've released a bunch of bundles already, see
> http://servicemix.apache.org/smx4/bundles-repository.html).
>
> I'd like to have feedback from both communities (and any other
> interested parties) to gauge the interest in such a move.

We are very interested in the SM Kernel at several projects.   This in
concert with JUnit OSGi will completely fullfil our dreams.  I had been
playing around with the SM Kernel to take ApacheDS and other servers to OSGi
and I was impressed.  Heck just the SSH based console with application
commands and tab completion are cool in themselves.  Count me in for any
support or help needed in getting this project over to the Felix community.

Thanks,
Alex