felix-dev mailing list archives

From Adrian Trenaman <trena...@progress.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move ServiceMix Kernel into Felix as a subproject
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2009 11:29:09 GMT
+1 for the name, and +1 for bringing together the felix and SMX
kernels communities.

One question though: will Karaf be intimately tied to the Felix OSGi
implementation? I think that Karaf would be stronger if we can show
that it works over any OSGi compliant core. Thoughts, anyone?

/Ade

On 31 Mar 2009, at 12:42, James Strachan wrote:

> 2009/3/30 Guillaume Nodet <gnodet@gmail.com>:
>> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 19:49, Jamie G. <jamie.goodyear@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I agree, this sounds like a win-win for all involved (as per James /
>>> Guillaume's post).
>>>
>>> As a name submission I'd like Carafe (pronounced "karaf"). A
>>> carafe is
>>> a small container used for serving wine and other drinks
>>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carafe). In similarity to the name the
>>> Kernel allows applications to be more easily handled, and improves
>>> their characteristics (much like a bottle of wine left to breath
>>> in a
>>> decanter) :)
>>
>> What about Karaf to lower the google hit counts and still preserve
>> the
>> nice semantic ...
>>  ... and eventually fill the "K" hole of the Apache TLP names list
>> (in
>> case it ever becomes a TLP later).
>
> And K == Kernel etc :)
>
> +1 am liking it.
>
> Easy to remember, spell and google search. Unless anyone can think of
> a better idea. (My ideas were all terrible :)
>
> --
> James
> -------
> http://macstrac.blogspot.com/
>
> Open Source Integration
> http://fusesource.com/

---
Adrian Trenaman, Consultant Fellow, PS - Opensource Center of Competence
Progress Software Corp
Shelbourne Road, Dublin 4, Ireland
---
+353-1-637-2659 (Office)