felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Using BND as a test harness
Date Sat, 14 Feb 2009 00:27:04 GMT

Perhaps it wasn't clear in my document, but I am not putting any effort
into creating a testing harness, I am just using the capabilities being
built into BND. I started playing with BND as a testing harness for
three reasons:

   1. My long desire to have a testing harness for Felix, but my
      inability to convince anyone in the community to work on one. :-)
   2. We already have BND in our tool chain, so it doesn't add a new
   3. It is the tool used for the OSGi build and ultimately the OSGi
      TCK, so it doesn't hurt for me to use a similar setup.

So, whether I use BND or not won't stop the effort going into BND, but
it nice to know I can bitch at Peter when there is something I don't
like. :-)

-> richard

p.s. I am aware of PAX Exam...in the original users thread where I
promised to document my BND experiment, I pointed the user to it
However, I actually started playing with BND for this purpose back in
October, but it took me this long to get around to doing something with
it (and to have Peter fix a couple issues).

Alin Dreghiciu wrote:
> Related, you may wanna take a look at Pax Exam: http://wiki.ops4j.org//x/BYCk
> Maybe we should somehow extend it, so you may specify an arbitrary
> Felix version as right now you can only specify an released felix
> version. And as a certain test could be performed against cretan Felix
> versions you could use it for regression testing, or to test that a
> certain bug is solved.
> So Richard, what do you think can we combine the efforts?
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 6:58 PM, Richard S. Hall <heavy@ungoverned.org> wrote:
>> Well, as promised, I finally got around to creating an example of using BND
>> as a testing harness for the Felix framework and for bundles. Some simple
>> documentation is here:
>>   http://felix.apache.org/site/bnd-testing-harness.html
>> This is not a tutorial, just an example of how to use it (or at least my
>> understanding of how to use it). I will try to answer any questions, but
>> anything too in depth will likely require Peter Kriens to answer.
>> -> richard
>> p.s. I cross posted since some on the users mailing list expressed interest,
>> but I also wanted to tell other Felix developers about this too. So, if you
>> do respond, please do not respond with a cross post. Thanks.

View raw message