felix-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Porting Question
Date Sat, 07 Feb 2009 16:34:27 GMT
A big question, let me have a go at providing some generic answers.
I'm sure others will join in on this. :)

On Feb 7, 2009, at 9:20 , Pete Haidinyak wrote:

> 	Ok, enough of the background, my question is "What is the best
> approach
> for Porting a JMX enabled Component to OSGi?" Currently the Components
> send and receive 'Events/Message' using JMX (Publish/Subscribe).

That maps nicely onto the Event Admin specification.

> They are
> also managed (stopped/started/unload/loaded/configuration changes,
> etc.)
> using a JMX Console.

If you make your beans map onto bundles, then those can be managed in
the same way. We have a local shell, telnet and webconsole, and even a
wrapper to expose bundles through JMX again.

> I also will be running parts of the application
> outside of the OSGi container which will need access to components
> running
> inside the OSGi container. Components running inside of the OSGi
> contain
> will need access to resources that are in the classpath (created at
> startup).

Check out the documentation on embedding Felix for more details about
this. Stuff on the classpath can be exposed through the system bundle.
The bundle context can be used outside the framework to lookup
services and use them.

Greetings, Marcel