felix-dev mailing list archives

From Clement Escoffier <clement.escoff...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Porting Question
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 16:00:03 GMT
Hi,

On 09.02.2009, at 07:37, Pete Haidinyak wrote:

> Thanks for the help. I just printed out the iPOJO documentation and
> will be going through it.

iPOJO can ease your development. I add some comments below.

> -Pete
>
> On Sat, 07 Feb 2009 08:34:27 -0800, Marcel Offermans <marcel.offermans@luminis.nl

> > wrote:
>
>> A big question, let me have a go at providing some generic answers.
>> I'm sure others will join in on this. :)
>>
>> On Feb 7, 2009, at 9:20 , Pete Haidinyak wrote:
>>
>>> 	Ok, enough of the background, my question is "What is the best
>>> approach
>>> for Porting a JMX enabled Component to OSGi?" Currently the
>>> Components
>>> send and receive 'Events/Message' using JMX (Publish/Subscribe).
>>
>> That maps nicely onto the Event Admin specification.

iPOJO provides a way to send and receive events with the Event Admin
without managing the Event Admin interaction (see http://felix.apache.org/site/event-admin-handlers.html)

>>> They are
>>> also managed (stopped/started/unload/loaded/configuration changes,
>>> etc.)
>>> using a JMX Console.
>>
>> If you make your beans map onto bundles, then those can be managed
>> in the same way. We have a local shell, telnet and webconsole, and
>> even a wrapper to expose bundles through JMX again.

iPOJO instances can also be exposed as MBean. In this case, they don't
know that there are accessible remotely ... (http://felix.apache.org/site/ipojo-jmx-handler.html

)

>>> I also will be running parts of the application
>>> outside of the OSGi container which will need access to components
>>> running
>>> inside the OSGi container. Components running inside of the OSGi
>>> contain
>>> will need access to resources that are in the classpath (created at
>>> startup).

Regards,

Clement