felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Jackson, Bruce" <bru...@qualcomm.com>
Subject HTTPRequestForIcon in UPnP base driver
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2009 12:25:24 GMT
Hi there

Using the felix UPnP base driver, I'm unable to retrieve icons for Windows
Media Player UPnP content sources.

I've followed the code through, and I come to the class:

org.apache.felix.upnp.basedriver.importer.util.HTTPRequestForIcon

...which is where the trouble is.

This class contains a method:

public InputStream getInputStream()

... Which starts with the comment:

//TODO we should speak about that

... Never a good sign :-) ! I'm trying to understand why the code manually
constructs the HTTP request and does everything at the socket level, rather
than simply:

URLConnection conn = url.openConnection();
return conn.getInputStream();

I've changed this in my local copy of the base driver, and tested it, and it
works fine. So, either this is a bit of old code that should be fixed, OR
there is a good reason to not use the JDK URLConnection class that somebody
might be aware of.

If its the latter, please let me know, and I'll see how to fix it so that it
will work with Windows Media Player.

Thanks

Bruce