felix-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Brisbin <jon.bris...@gmail.com>
Subject I implemented a JLine-based TUI for Felix
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2008 22:37:00 GMT
Sorry for the x-post between dev and users...

I don't like the default text UIs for Felix or Equinox, so I decided
to write my own, based on JLine. I made it Felix-specific for the time
being, since I'm checking for specific commands. But I'm thinking in
the next incarnation, I'll make it OSGi-generic.

Besides file-based (~/.felix_history) history support, there is also
tab completion for Felix commands. I have to say: it is *so* nice to
have tab completion and history support in stock Felix. Right now, I'm
working on tab completion for the install command (so it will prompt
you for files as you're typing your "file:/" url!) and support for
searching for implemented interfaces (so you can have tab completion
when typing in filters).

I would love to share this with the community and possibly get it
included in the main distro (JLine is included as an embedded
dependency and the code is very small and light-weight). I was ready
to use ServiceMix just for the GShell integration, but then I looked
at how much RAM gshell takes up (I plan on deploying my OSGi app onto
a memory-limited Ubuntu slice) and the dependencies and decided that
plain JLine was the way to go.

Is there any interest in this text ui for plain-jane, stock Felix?

Jon Brisibn

View raw message