felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Felix 1.3.0 Changes
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2008 17:57:52 GMT

Stuart McCulloch wrote:
> 2008/11/6 Richard S. Hall <heavy@ungoverned.org>
>

>> Yep, Clement is correct.
>>
>> We have introduced a new property in 1.3.0 development version (1.4.0
>> should be officially released soon). These new changes align with a standard
>> framework API under consideration by the OSGi Alliance.
>>
>> Felix will now set a reasonable default value for
>> org.osgi.framework.system.packages, but you can override the default by
>> setting this property yourself. If you just want to append to the default
>> value, then use org.osgi.framework.system.packages.extra, like Clement
>> described.
>>

> quick question: has "felix.startlevel.framework" been deprecated in favour
> of "org.osgi.framework.startlevel" ?
> if so then should the old property name still be checked as a last resort?
> I think it's currently ignored in trunk,
> but "felix.startlevel.bundle" still seems to be accepted...

The framework startlevel property is the newly proposed standard
property, but there is no equivalent one proposed for bundles, so we
have to keep the Felix one...

I am not a fan of keeping around Felix-specific legacy. I understand
that this may cause some issues for people upgrading, but it is pretty
minor and it encourages people to move to the standard settings, which
is ultimately beneficial to them since it will work across frameworks.

-> richard