felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Stuart McCulloch" <mccu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: org.apache.felix.shell.Command
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2008 09:45:48 GMT
2008/10/23 Walid jo Gedeon <wgedeon@gmail.com>

> It does, thanks richard.
> I'm not a big fan of passing PrintStreams for command execution output and
> error, but the command that can be looked up like a service is cool. I had
> hopes there was a "standard" interface definition ;-)
> One goal of adopting osgi would be the possibility to write a component and
> be able to deploy it on any compliant implementation, I'm wondering why
> such
> an interface is not in the spec...

yes, it would be good to have this spec'd - and I believe this is actually
in progress
FYI, there's some OSGi shell code that Alin has been working on over at
OPS4J:

  http://lists.ops4j.org/pipermail/general/2008q3/008111.html

it's based on Peter Kriens prototype, the latest code can be downloaded
from:

  https://scm.ops4j.org/repos/ops4j/projects/pax/shell/

send a note to general@lists.ops4j.org for more information about the status
and how it relates to the ongoing command shell spec...

I'll check in that direction some more; for now all i found was this article
> on the top news section [
>
> http://blog.ciscavate.org/2008/10/auto-documenting-osgi-commandproviders.html
> ].

> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 6:22 PM, Richard S. Hall <heavy@ungoverned.org
> >wrote:
>
> > The documentation is incorrect. The "ungoverned" package was from when
> > Felix was Oscar. The "apache" packages are correct. I have edited the
> > document to fix this issue. Let me know if it makes more sense now.
> >
> > -> richard
> >

> > Walid "jo" Gedeon wrote:
> >
> >> Hello all,
> >> Browsing through the available docs to understand how commands work in
> >> felix
> >> (specifically, but in osgi in general), the shell service page seemed to
> >> make sense (
> >> http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-shell-service.html).<http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-shell-service.html%29.>
> ..
> >> ... until the section "Creating a Command" :-)
> >>
> >> I'm not sure I get why MyStartCommandImpl implements
> >> org.apache.felix.shell.Command and not
> >> org.ungoverned.osgi.service.shell.Command? Or alternatively why doesnt
> >> org.apache.felix.shell.Command extend it...
> >>
> >> Thanks for any comments or points of vue:-)

Cheers, Stuart