felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Rob Walker" <R...@ascert.com>
Subject Re: OSGi HTTP Service (FELIX-538) Question
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2008 06:42:08 GMT
Richard

You may have already found it - but there is a Jetty based Http service already in Felix bundles.
It's not perfect but works pretty well - from a project point of view it may be better for
you to start with this as a basis for improvements.

There's a mail archive thread somewhere on servlet level support and backwards compatibily.
I think the way it works is that u must suppport 2.1 servlet spec - but higher spec levels
are backwards compatible i.e. 2.5 would satisfy a 2.1+ min spec level. Happy to stand corrected
if others know more here.

In terms of licensing - i'm not familiar with CDDL, if it's just embedding & the license
allows that then you're probably ok - but it may be best to check with the project/authors.

Never looked at iPojo so not sure how this fits with OSGi model.

regards

- rob

-----------------------
Sent from my Treo(r) smartphone

-----Original Message-----
From: "richard jackson" <rdjackson@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, Sep 4, 2008 6:08 am
Subject: OSGi HTTP Service (FELIX-538) Question
To: "dev@felix.apache.org" <dev@felix.apache.org> Reply-To: "dev@felix.apache.org" <dev@felix.apache.org>

After I finish off learning what I need to know about felix I want to tackle
 writing a OSGi HTTP Service bundle. But I have a few questions about what
 can be included in this bundle if I want to contribute it to Felix:

1) Can it contain out side code? In particular I'm thinking about Grizzly (
https://grizzly.dev.java.net/ ). This is the front end used in both Jetty
 and GlassFish which means it is already heavily tested and why reinvent the
 wheel if I don't have to. The potential problem is that it is under the CDDL
 and was not sure if that License is ok for a Apache project.

2) Is there a problem with extending the spec for this? For instance can I
 expose a spec compliant service but also expose a enhanced service? Kind of
 like what the Pax Web bundle does (see
http://wiki.ops4j.org/confluence/display/ops4j/Pax+Web+-+Http+Service+Extensions).

3) Can I use iPOJO for the service? Or do I need to just do it myself? This
 is not a issue I was just wondering as again why code it up by hand if I can
 just get iPOJO to do it for me. But then again maybe iPOJO can't do what I
 will need for HTTP Service ( I'm still learning what it can do still haven't
 got far enough to know what it can't do )

4) The spec states that the HTTP Service must implement at least Servlet
 spec 2.1 (If I remember correctly that is) whould implementing Servlet Spec
2.5 satisfy the requirement? Yea I know maybe a stupid question but still
 wanted to ask as I don't want to wast my research time if I don't have to.
 Want to get the spec part done first before trying to do the added stuff I
 want/need. If I have to do Servlet spec 2.1 does anyone know where I can
 find the spec. I have only been able to find 2.3 and newer.

 I'll have more questions as I look into doing this but for now that covers
 the basics. (I have packaging questions as well but those questions depend
 on answers to some of the questions)

 Thanks
 Richard Jackson