felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Trunk do not compile from scratch
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2008 14:52:43 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Stefano Lenzi wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> After the new release of the org.osgi.core:1.2.0 and
>> org.apache.felix.bundlerepository:1.2.0, the trunk do not compile
>> anymore if you download felix from the SVN with an empty .m2 maven
>> repository. In fact, several bundles dependes on
>> org.osgi.core:1.1.0-SNAPSHOT which has never been released so they fail
>> to compile.
>>
>> I have create the issue FELIX-715 and I have attached a simple patch.
>> There are two possible solution modify the dependencies to the new
>> 1.3.0-SNAPSHOT version or bind the dependencies to on of the 1.0.X
>> release. I think that for org.osgi.core artifact every project should
>> point to the released version, while for the bundlerepository artifact
>> it is better to depend on the latest SNAPSTHO. Of course the final word
>> is own by the main developer of the particular artifact. Furthermore, we
>> may start to use the version range feature provided by maven. WDYT?
>>
> I think we should just all point them to the released version (1.2.0 for
> all of them). If there is a need to update to a snapshot one can do it
> easily.

Yes, in general the dependencies should be on a released version...we do
this a little differently for main to make sure it always has the latest
snapshots when building from trunk, but otherwise it should not be the case.

>> P.S.:I have also found that the org.apache.felix.metatype is using a
>> wrong version number it should be 1.1.0-SNAPSHOT instead of
>> 1.0.3-SNAPSHOT. Should we change it?
>>
> I think that version is correct - updating it to 1.1.0-SNAPSHOT creates
> a funny situation once we decide to release a 1.0.4 as we have higher
> snapshots which have been released earlier. And I personally don't like
> decreasing the version number in the pom for a release :)

Well, this seems somewhat contradictory to the above point then. It
seems metatype should depend on a released artifact and only on a
snapshot if it needs it.

-> richard