felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Stuart McCulloch" <stuart.mccull...@jayway.net>
Subject Re: [Vote] release maven-bundle-plugin 1.4.2
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2008 05:02:02 GMT
2008/8/6 Sahoo <sahoo@sun.com>

> Hi,

Hi Sahoo,

> We are currently experiencing severe build disruptions because of
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-661. It happens almost every
> every other build on all kinds of platforms.

This is certainly odd because I've never seen this before (I work on
Windows, Mac and Linux) and would have expected others to report it before
now. Therefore to fix this speedily we would need a recreatable testcase
that shows the problem - doesn't need to be small, just publicly accessible.

BTW, does this happen when a single developer runs the build on their own
machine (with no other builds running) or does it only occur on a build
machine that may be potentially running many builds? I ask because there's a
design issue in Maven that means the local repository is not protected
against concurrent reading/writing.

So if you have multiple builds running concurrently against the same local
repository you will see occasional failures wrt. changed files, no matter
what improvements are made to the plugin code.

If you look at the comments made by Harsha, you shall see that we have spent
> considerable time before concluding that it is not possible to change the
> behavior of Zip/jar utility of JDK, hence it has to be handled by clients of
> those utilities, which happens to be both the plugin as well as bnd. I
> believe Harsha has even attached a patch for this. I know it's a bit late in
> the game, but is there any chance of getting this fix in 1.4.2?

if I'd been told about this sooner then possibly, but not at this stage -
unless of course this problem doesn't occur with 1.4.1 (but that uses the
same version of Bnd, so it should also behave the same)

btw, I don't see a patch attached to the JIRA issue - does the patch solve
your current build issues?

fixing this properly will require changes to Bnd and a Maven shared
component which are managed by other teams with their own release schedules
- also the latest Bnd library contains other changes, so I'd want to do lots
of testing before moving up to the new version.

we could look into doing a custom release, using patched source files to
override the classes in the original dependencies - but then I'd definitely
need access to a recreatable testcase and your patch to apply and verify the
changes.

If not, we will probably have to cut our own release off 1.4.2 to use in our
> build system, something we really don't like, but we may be left with no
> option.

that might be the best option for now, especially as I won't be online at
all from the 10th to 24th.

certainly the earlier I know of potential issues the easier it is to plan,
so I'd strongly encourage users of the bundleplugin to report bugs and
feature requests on JIRA as soon as possible - and if you're expecting to
move to the new release, please test against the early snapshots as much as
possible.

Thanks,

--
Cheers, Stuart