felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Fragment support
Date Fri, 29 Aug 2008 14:39:29 GMT
Stuart McCulloch wrote:
> 2008/8/18 Alin Dreghiciu <adreghiciu@gmail.com>
>

>> On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 6:54 PM, Richard S. Hall <heavy@ungoverned.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>> Currently, we log a WARNING when people install a fragment, which says
>>>
>> that
>>
>>> fragments are not fully supported. We should decide if we want to keep
>>>
>> this
>>
>>> as is or be more specific and indicate the level of fragment support
>>> provided (i.e., no exports, imports, or native code) or we could decide

>>> not install fragments that try to use features we don't support. Any
>>> thoughts here?
>>>

>> I would go for not installing those fragments. This way it will be
>> more clear to the user tof those features that they do not work.
>>

> sounds reasonable to me, better than installing it and have it partially
> work.
> we should also print a warning describing why the fragment wasn't installed
>
> fragments that we can fully support should install without any such warning.

I started to implement this, but I ran into one issue regarding
Import-Package, do we disallow this completely? It is easier if I just
disallow it for now, but it means that fragments won't be allowed to
import org.osgi.framework, which isn't necessary since they will get it
from their host, but it might seem odd.

-> richard