felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Maven & OSGi plans
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2008 13:35:25 GMT
Craig Phillips wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I may not completely understand your question... My answer may be "old school lib folder"
or there abouts, but I can't be certain of that answer just yet...

> [on an aside, take a look at BUILDR, although it's still in incubation: http://incubator.apache.org/buildr/
... I give them an A+ for attitude :) ]

I hadn't been paying attention to buildr...sounds interesting.

-> richard

> For the most part, I am not [currently] building big systems of large numbers of bundles...
That type of setup would likely require something sophisticated (more so than probably any
toolset would provide out of the box); I've been amassing mostly small self contained bundles
/ services -- for this purpose, ANT/BND is more than fine;

> In all my cases, I have all of the necessary bundles to build (if not run) on hand; One
of my pet peeves, especially abused on the equinox side that I've seen [not just provider,
but end user], is a lack of separation of interface/api from implementation... to this end,
for build, you should only have API bundles on hand for the project/classpath/lib; As for
run time, that's when you'd bring in the IMPL's... Whether you bring the IMPL's in a la OBR
or local dir at run time, that's a run time decision on your part, but shouldn't cause issue
with compile time; Of course, this is all predicated on separating API from IMPL, which I
practice like a religion, but others don't -- OSGi changes your mind set and you need to get
used to having large numbers of small / tiny bundles ('er, dot.jars) -- this way, at run time,
you can upgrade and rewire (reference Newton as well) and keep your "system" running 24x7;
You can upgrade versions of IMPLs and let the re-wiring do it's magic (noting you probably
shouldn't be upgrading your LogService IMPL every 15 minutes, obviously)...

> Not sure where this is all leading in the discussion, nor if it addressed your specific
concerns / questions... but I keep coming back to building against APIs...