felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig Phillips" <lcphill...@praxiseng.com>
Subject Shell.TUI causes ServerSocket() constructor to hang
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2008 13:22:09 GMT
Hi,

I uncovered an issue in which the Shell.TUI will cause "new
java.io.ServerSocket()" to hang;

Through process of elimination / gutting, pretty much to the point of a
small bundle with an activate() method (I'm using SCR) and a "new
ServerSocket(1234, 1)", with a couple log events pre and post, I
determined that the construction of the ServerSocket will not return
(nor timeout, IIRC), if the Shell.TUI bundle is started first;

In other forms of the telnet shell, which do not use
SCR/DeclarativeServices, I remember I had to put install and start those
bundles prior to the Shell.TUI... However, because I changed the
ordering a la SCR (my bundle is installed and started, but SCR does not
start my "service" and activation thereof until my dependencies are
satisfied, in this case to shell service and log service), my bundle
activation falls behind the shell.TUI activation...

So, the Shell.TUI must be causing some sort of conflict with
ServerSocket ... I did not dig deeper than that... Not sure if someone
would ask me to file a bug or not... I'm just putting this out there...
maybe others have come across this, but I don't know...

I solved my immediate problem by simple removing Shell.TUI from the
auto.start list;

For what it's worth, Craig Phillips, Praxis Engineering