felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Stuart McCulloch" <stuart.mccull...@jayway.net>
Subject Re: using pax-logger/log4j in embedded felix (class loader issue)
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2008 16:22:59 GMT
2008/7/8 Sahoo <sahoo@sun.com>:

> Karl Pauls wrote:
>> Since Felix is started by the web app, Felix would use that web app's
>>> class
>>> loader for any delegation. By having this property, both OSGi bundles
>>> should
>>> see same log4j classes as the web app.
>> Right. I'll try to investigate this a bit more.
> Since the parent class loader, which in this case is WebappClassLoader, has
> all the log4j classes, a better alternative would be to configure the OSGi
> framework to export log4j classes and related classes (like commons-logging
> may be) using org.osgi.framework.system.packages system property. That way,
> there is still some control over log4j class loading.

again, this wouldn't solve the Pax-Logging issue because
then the application will have all it's logging calls bound to
the original Log4J jar, which lacks the OSGi support that
Pax-Logging provides (various other things will then fail)

I believe Niclas has some ideas on how to proceed...

Cheers, Stuart