felix-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Walker <r...@ascert.com>
Subject Re: Java webstart - loading bundles
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2008 06:03:59 GMT
We've also done a similar approach to that which Richard describes.

Our web-start just brings down a very thin "launcher" JAR - this goes
back to the URL to pull down the felix.propeties, and via "variable
substitution" the bundle JARs get pulled down automatically e.g.

felix.auto.install.1="${bundle.root}/lib/ext/osgi.compendium.jar" \

For local use ${bundle.root} has a file:// URL value to load bundles
from the local file system - which is set by our command / EXE startup
wrappers

For the "shim" launcher for WebStart we make sure this property is set
in the JNLP:

   <resources>
      <j2se version="1.4+" href="http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se"/>
      <j2se version="1.4+"/>
      <jar href="lib/launch.jar" main="true" download="eager"/>
      <jar href="lib/felix.jar" download="eager"/>
      <property name="bundle.root" value="$$context"/>
   </resources>

I forget - but I think $$context uses a standard webstart servlet auto
replacement - to make the JNLP portable regardless of the mounted URL

-- Rob

--

Ascert - Taking systems to the Edge
robw@ascert.com