felix-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Phillips <lcphill...@praxiseng.com>
Subject RE: Telnet bundle
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2008 16:57:04 GMT
Hi,

Been a bit of a struggle on my end... Some background, from most recent...

- The existing telnetd bundle source will not build with telnetd2 (wimpi) nor, walking backwards,
telnetd1.0b4... Got close with telnetd1.0b4, by making 'io.toolkit.Editline' a public class,
but the shell is not compiling due to missing methods...
- If I shutdown the bundle, the listen socket is still bound
  # Note that the bundle DOES invoke shutdown() of dtw.telnetD which subsequently calls shutdown
on 'myListener', but to no avail;

- Needless to say, I can not embed a felix container with this functionality as it stands,
as a subsequent restart of the container gets a socket bind failure on port 6623 (the property
specified listen port) as it's currently bound to a defunct container;

Hence, it looks like it would be a bit of work to upgrade the existing telnetd bundle code
to, for sake of argument, wimpi.telnetd2...

In the short run, I'm willing to simply fix the socket listener problem, but I am still backtracking
to find the dtw.telnetD source that will build with the telnetd bundle... I'm about to get
dtw.telnetd.1.0b3 next...

Appreciate the interest... I find the feature to be a useful tool... I don't necessarily need
the 'ssh' stuff as I'm sort of telnet'ing from the same box from whence the container is run...
IMO, there are other ways of defeating the lax in security (e.g., firewall) -- meaning, I
ssh to the box and telnet to the container from there... easy enough and secure enough (IMO)...
I'm only interested in the [more than] rudimentary console for which the bundle provides...
 I get a lot of useful mileage out of the telnetd bundle...

Thanks, much appreciative, Craig Phillips, Praxis Engineering..