felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig Phillips" <lcphill...@praxiseng.com>
Subject RE: Distributed OSGi/Network Service Discovery
Date Sat, 28 Jun 2008 12:47:38 GMT
Hi,

I've been looking in to Newton... Some one put a lot of work into it..

________________________________

From: Marcel Offermans [mailto:marcel.offermans@luminis.nl]
Sent: Sat 6/28/2008 5:47 AM
To: dev@felix.apache.org
Subject: Re: Distributed OSGi/Network Service Discovery

Hello Dieter,

On Jun 28, 2008, at 2:09 , Dieter Wimberger wrote:

> I have been reading a bit about the distributed OSGi efforts, and I
> wondered about two things:
>
> 1) Isn't network service discovery an essential element?
> (With network service discovery, I am talking about what's done
> through protocols like SLP, mDNS etc.)

It is.

> 2) Is there any effort to standardize such service discovery
> services into an OSGi service specification?
> i.e. property based network service discovery service independent of
> the actual protocol that is used?

Such an effort is indeed underway for quite some time now.

> I personally think it does make sense to have such an abstraction,
> because it could shield bundles from protocol details and the actual
> implementation that is being used at a specific site.

Me too, doing distributed OSGi is not rocket science in the sense that
there are not that many different ways to do it, but standardization
helps a lot to prevent slightly incompatible solutions here.

If you want to learn a bit more about it, check out the following links:

  - http://blogs.iona.com/newcomer/archives/000569.html
  - http://www.osgi.org/wiki/uploads/CommunityEvent2008/21_RemoteServices_OSGi_CommEvent08.pdf
  - http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Application-Development/Distributed-OSGi-Effort-Progresses/

Those should give you an idea of what the upcoming spec will contain.
Especially the Iona blog is worth reading because they are part of the
expert group. I talked to them in Berlin and it seems they are ironing
out the final details.

Greetings, Marcel