felix-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject More to come [was; Re: [VOTE] Accept Pax Logging donation from OPS4J]
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2008 08:06:38 GMT
On Monday 02 June 2008 15:17, Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
> +1 (non-binding, hoping for more to come)

Since there is a lot of overlap between Felix and Pax projects, both in terms
of people as well as codebases, the two communities have discussed this back
and forth for a long time.

I think the consensus is roughly like this;

* For codebases that implements official OSGi specifications, it belongs
  in Felix.

* For codebases that benefit from a Open Participation policy, it belongs
  in OPS4J.

The first is pretty straight forward.
The second part is perhaps less obvious. OPS4J has a "No barrier" policy, in
principle "Wiki brought to Coding", "Don't send us the patch, commit it and
we'll take a look at it." approach. This seems to work very well, especially
for code that is not central enough for someone to have a keen interest to
maintain it on a daily basis.

Pax will remain its "platform neutrality" identity, and Pax Logging will be
released under its current name, and possibly independent of Felix release
cycles, for this purpose.

In the near future, Pax Web will also be donated, as it is an implementation
of the OSGi Log Service spec.

I don't have much expectations of codebases "re-locating" from Felix to the
Pax project on the basis of the above, other than individuals outside the
Felix project grabbing the sources and continue to evolve at OPS4J. If/when
that happens we can discuss this matter further.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er