felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Alin Dreghiciu" <adreghi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SpringSource Bundle Repository
Date Sat, 03 May 2008 12:33:46 GMT
It certainly does but I guess they went for a shortcut and instead of
implementing the full spec of Deployment Admin they just did what they
need. Again I would say  an ad-hoc "standard" that will be loved by
users because it's easy to pick up and start with. And about your
questions I do not think you will find any answer soon :) as there is
not too much documentation about.

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Marcel Offermans
<marcel.offermans@luminis.nl> wrote:
> On May 2, 2008, at 20:22 , Alin Dreghiciu wrote:
> > What's also new is:
> > "The PAR format is the recommended approach for packaging and
> > deploying applications for the Platform. A PAR is simply a collection
> > of OSGi bundles (modules) grouped together in a standard JAR file,
> > along with a name and a version that uniquely identify the
> > application. The PAR file is deployed as a single unit into the
> > Platform. The Platform will extract all the modules from the PAR and
> > install them. Third-party dependencies will be installed on-the-fly as
> > needed.
> >
>  Except for the third-party dependencies, it sounds an awful lot like the
> deployment packages introduced in the R4.1 spec. I would have to take a more
> detailed look to see how the two compare exactly, the benefits you quoted
> are still a bit "inprecise". For example, how do PAR files form an explicit
> scope around all the bundles in the application? Is the application hidden,
> is there some security mechanism in place, or what?
>  Purely from reading the comments on the list lately it seems quite a bit of
> "not invented here" is going on, where the OSGi specs merely form a platform
> to create your own standards on.
>  Greetings, Marcel

View raw message