felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Alin Dreghiciu" <adreghi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SpringSource Bundle Repository
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 18:22:42 GMT
>From Rob's blog: "The Platform introduces two new mechanisms for
referring to third-party dependencies: Import-Bundle and
Import-Libary. Import-Bundle is analogous to Require-Bundle except it
prevents split packages and the other problems with Require-Bundle.
Import-Library provides a mechanism to refer to all the packages
exported by a group of bundles"

What's also new is:
"The PAR format is the recommended approach for packaging and
deploying applications for the Platform. A PAR is simply a collection
of OSGi bundles (modules) grouped together in a standard JAR file,
along with a name and a version that uniquely identify the
application. The PAR file is deployed as a single unit into the
Platform. The Platform will extract all the modules from the PAR and
install them. Third-party dependencies will be installed on-the-fly as
needed.

The PAR format has three main benefits over deploying the bundles
directly into the Platform. Firstly, it's just easier. An
average-sized enterprise application might contain 12+ bundles -
deploying these by hand will be far too cumbersome. Secondly, the PAR
file forms an explicit scope around all the bundles in the application
which prevents applications that use overlapping types or services
from clashing with each other. This scope is also used by some
advanced features such as load-time weaving to ensure that weaving of
one application doesn't interfere with weaving of another. Lastly, the
PAR forms a logical grouping to define what modules are part of an
application and what third-party dependencies the application has.
This grouping is used by the management tools to provide a detailed
view of the application."

Alin