felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Karl Pauls" <karlpa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Library Enabling Test Framework...?
Date Sat, 31 May 2008 09:40:41 GMT
> over in JAMES, we'd like to OSGi enable our upcoming library releases
> so that they can be used unforked in OSGi environments.

Great!

> the plan is to use the maven plugin but we don't have a lot of OSGi experience. so
> i'd like to add some integration tests to check that the libraries
> function ok when used in an OSGi environment.

Sounds like a good approach.

> this seems a reasonably general requirement and i was wondering about a general integration
> testing micro library to test that a library was correctly enabled.
>
> 1 does such a library exist already?

Not really. The might be some stuff around that is related but afaik
nothing that exactly does what you want (at least not open source).

> 2 if not:
>  2a is this just a crazy idea?

Not at all. We would need some kind of integration test framework
ourselves and discussed it a couple of times but nothing really
emerged as of now...

>  2b could it be made to work?

It should not be super complicated although it might need some work.
Felix is easily embeddable:

http://felix.apache.org/site/launching-and-embedding-apache-felix.html

and launches reasonable quickly. It really depends on what it is your
thinking of testing exactly?

I'd be interested in helping out as I'm sure others are as well...

regards,

Karl

--
Karl Pauls