felix-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: SpringSource Bundle Repository
Date Sat, 03 May 2008 08:05:25 GMT
On May 2, 2008, at 20:22 , Alin Dreghiciu wrote:

> What's also new is:
> "The PAR format is the recommended approach for packaging and
> deploying applications for the Platform. A PAR is simply a collection
> of OSGi bundles (modules) grouped together in a standard JAR file,
> along with a name and a version that uniquely identify the
> application. The PAR file is deployed as a single unit into the
> Platform. The Platform will extract all the modules from the PAR and
> install them. Third-party dependencies will be installed on-the-fly as
> needed.

Except for the third-party dependencies, it sounds an awful lot like
the deployment packages introduced in the R4.1 spec. I would have to
take a more detailed look to see how the two compare exactly, the
benefits you quoted are still a bit "inprecise". For example, how do
PAR files form an explicit scope around all the bundles in the
application? Is the application hidden, is there some security
mechanism in place, or what?

Purely from reading the comments on the list lately it seems quite a
bit of "not invented here" is going on, where the OSGi specs merely
form a platform to create your own standards on.

Greetings, Marcel