felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Patrick Shea" <patr...@ps1.net>
Subject Re: Disable bundle cache?
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2008 17:45:36 GMT
Thanks Richard, this now makes more sense.

Patrick

-----Original Message-----
From: "Richard S. Hall" <heavy@ungoverned.org>
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2008 10:28am
To: dev@felix.apache.org
Subject: Re: Disable bundle cache?

Patrick Shea wrote:
> I don't know for everyone but most of the time in my projects using OSGi, the resources
(bundles) are already stored on the file system so I don't see why Felix need a second copy
of those same resources.

> I understand that the BundleContext is installing URL's and is not concerned about the
location but my guess is that most of the time these are local file URL's.

It is still not clear from this which type of cache "disabling" you are
suggesting. If you simply do not want your original JAR to be copied,
then you can use a URL like "reference:file:/path/to/jar". However, this
is not a complete solution.

Ultimately, the issue comes down to two things:

   1. Access to embedded resources (e.g., native libs and embedded JARs).
   2. Life cycle management.

For (1) it is not possible to disable the cache completely, since
embedded resources need to be extracted and put into the file system
(especially in the case of native libs).

For (2) it is also difficult to disable the cache, since if you update
your bundle JAR file, then the framework needs to maintain the old and
the new copy. This is also complicated if you are dealing with native
libraries, which requires making copies too.

So, while it is possible to "disable" the cache in some incomplete form,
it is really difficult to completely disable the cache due to the above
issues. It is an inherent part of the framework.

If you are trying to simply eliminate duplication of your JARs, then you
are in a more difficult situation than you might think, since you will
not be getting the complete semantics of (1) and (2) above as defined by
the spec. On the other hand, if you just want the framework to forget
about its copies in between executions, then this is quite simple to
achieve without any known side effects, just delete the cache directory.

-> richard