felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Guillaume Nodet" <gno...@gmail.com>
Subject Performance problems in classloading
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2008 14:12:12 GMT
I'm currently working on ServiceMix 4 which uses Felix.\

I have some really important performance problems in classloading.
When loading JBI applications (they have some very specific
classloading architecture
that must be implemented to be JBI compliant), 95% of the time  is
spent in the following method:
which is not really acceptable.

The problem is that the classloader is built dynamically and does not
completely rely on
OSGi.  For this reason, the classloader of JBI artifacts delegates to
the parent classloader,
then looks inside its own jar.  This means there will be lots of
ClassNotFoundException thrown
by the parents classloader (ultimately by Felix).

Is there any way to maybe speed / disable the diagnoseClassLoadError
method call which
is purely informative ?

I know the design of the JBI classloaders is not really a good fit in
OSGi, so I will investigate
a better solution (leveraging more of OSGi classloaders) anyway, but I
still wanted to report
the problem.

Guillaume Nodet
Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/