felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Stuart McCulloch" <stuart.mccull...@jayway.net>
Subject [VOTE] Future of the maven-obr-plugin
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2008 03:46:31 GMT
Hi folks,

I'd like to get your feedback about the OBR plugin and its future.

Patrick has suggested merging the OBR plugin with the bundleplugin, because
they both
work with bundles. This is something that was considered in the past, but we
decided to
just add the OBR install goal to the 'bundle' lifecycle and keep the
codebases separate.
( mostly because we wanted to get 1.2.0 out of the door without too much
delay )

Now that we've released stable versions of both plugins, we can consider
this idea again.
In fact there actually two choices that can be implemented independently of
one another:

a)  Merge the OBR plugin and bundleplugin codebases - this means one less
plugin to
     maintain, but could lead to longer release times. It also avoids having
a dependency
     between two plugins (bundleplugin -> OBR plugin), which is a good
thing.

b)  Add the OBR deploy goal to the 'bundle' packaging lifecycle. This is
similar to what
     we already do for the install goal in 1.2.0. However, we should control
this with a flag
     (off by default) to avoid uploading OBR files to servers which aren't
expecting them.

Because there's no real point in doing a) without b) this leads us to 3
possibilities:

[ ] +1  merge the bundle and OBR plugins and add OBR deploy to the 'bundle'
lifecycle (a+b)
[ ]  0  keep the plugins separate, but add the OBR deploy goal to the
'bundle' lifecycle (b only)
[ ] -1  keep the bundle and OBR plugins separate and don't change the
'bundle' lifecycle

Vote will run for *72hrs* - only PMC votes will be binding, but anyone can
vote

--
Cheers, Stuart