felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Stuart McCulloch" <stuart.mccull...@jayway.net>
Subject Re: http.jetty based on Jetty 6
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2008 17:16:18 GMT
On 09/01/2008, Rob Walker <robw@ascert.com> wrote:
> Good news - saw your comment on FELIX-55.
> Be very good to get on a later version of jetty - it's served us well to
> date with the heavy lifting of our Http Service and making sure it
> performs and works reasonably well, so would be very happy to get onto a
> more recent version.

Quick FYI, the Pax-Web bundle over at OPS4J uses Jetty 6.1.6
to provide an implementation of the HttpService, plus some
extensions for servlets, filters and listeners.

Alin's even written an extender bundle that lets you install
vanilla WAR files with a Bnd file and have them deploy using
the HttpService :)

>From what I remember, upgrading to v6 shouldn't take long.

We're starting to do a lot of Ajax work using our OSGi platform - and
> Jetty 6 support for continuations is very interesting. As a result be
> happy to help out and test new versions where we can.
> > I wonder, whether it would make sense to include
> > the Servlet API required by Jetty 6 in this bundle.
> >
> Traditionally - we've always packaged a separate javax.servlet bundle.
> I'd guess with OSGi 4's better control of imports and exports we could
> possibly include Servlet packages in the Jetty bundle, but ensuring they
> can be overridden if a user wants to use their own bundle / version of
> the servlet packages.
> Just one other note - I noticed recently that our current basic Http
> Service doesn't stamp response with timestamp headers in a nice way, and
> as a result cacheing proxies and intermediaries don't work that well. I
> fixed this locally in my specific Servlet, but it seems we should fix in
> actual Http Service. Noted this in FELIX-407. Maybe something we can
> roll into the jetty 6 work
> Good luck - and email me if I can help out at all.
> -- Rob

Cheers, Stuart