felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Commons and OSGi
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2008 20:43:07 GMT
On Jan 16, 2008 4:19 PM, Lucas Galfaso <lgalfaso@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>   I built two implementations of JPA that are able to work with OSGi,
> these are Hiberate and Glassfish JPA implementations (there are still
> some issues as there is no easy way to unload any of these
> implementation based on several issues, but in both cases you are able
> to use them within an OSGi environment). My question is that both of
> these projects have non-Apache compatible licences, is there any
> interest in creating a set of OSGi bundles that would help the easy of
> the development even when they are not under an Apache licence?

Unfortunately we are still waiting for the draft on 3rd Part Licenses
to be made official ASF policy - but in the absence of anything else
its probably the best guide to what can be re-distributed in a release
here at the ASF:
   http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html

So for example Hibernate is LGPL[1] which falls into "Category X:
Excluded Licenses" so I don't believe its possible to do anything here
at Apache as it couldn't be released under the Apache License - but
perhaps you can do it elsewhere using a license compatible with that.
Not sure about Glassfish license as the legal section on their web
site is "under construction" - but check their license against the
above draft policy is my advice - I suspect the same might apply
though.

Niall

[1] http://www.hibernate.org/263.html#A8