felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release Configuration
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2008 15:36:24 GMT
On Jan 8, 2008 3:21 PM, Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler@apache.org> wrote:
> Niall Pemberton wrote:
> > On Jan 8, 2008 7:46 AM, Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler@apache.org> wrote:
> >> I just found out that profile inheritance in maven is not implemented by
> >> design [1].
> >> And this means that the "release" profile in our parent pom is useless
> >> as you can't apply it to a sub project. It seems that most other
> >> projects at Apache have a similar configuration, so I'm wondering if
> >> there is any trick to get it working?
> >
> > The only problem we've had in Apache Commons with using a "release"
> > profile in our parent pom is that when the release plugin calls other
> > plugins it doesn't pass on the "arguments" specifying the profile
> > which means that the called plugin doesn't use the profile. To resolve
> > that you can also specify the profile as an "arguments" parameter -
> > for example:
> >
> >    mvn -Prelease -Darguments="-Prelease" release:perform
> >
> > Alternatively you can configure the arguments for the release-plugin
> > in the profile (which is what we've done in commons):
> >
> >    http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=603888
> >
> Hmm, I'm not sure if I understand you correctly: you say that you can do
> a "mvn -Prelease release:perform" in let's say commons-io and then the
> configuration from the parent pom is used?

Yes but with the "arguments" paramater as well. Having said that the
only m2 release I've done so far was with commons-skin but it did work
and use the profile.

> So if you do a "mvn -Prelease help:active-profiles" in commons-io it
> will list "release" as an active profile although you don't have a
> profile definition for "release" in the pom of commons-io?

Just tried that for the first time (in commons-skin) and it didn't
list release as an active profile - so don't know what that means -
help broken or profile not active?

> Thanks
> Carsten

View raw message