felix-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Walker <r...@ascert.com>
Subject Re: http.jetty based on Jetty 6
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2008 07:06:00 GMT

> Clearly, not everything need be or can be developed at Felix, but the
> implication that we might as well accept that Felix bundles will only
> be used by Felix users seems awfully counter to all of the concepts
> for which OSGi stands.

I'd totally agree here.

Whilst most Felix member use the project bundles with Felix, I doubt any
set out to make them only work on Felix. If there are any that happen to
not work on other OSGi frameworks, then I'd agree Richard's idea of a
cross matrix might be helpful to highlight these.

I haven't done so in a while, but under the Oscar days we regularly used
to try Oscar bundles and our own bundle set on other OSGi platforms,
just to see if we'd created any incompatibilities. I don't recall many
situations where we had, and we certainly try and stick to
"straight/vanilla OSGi services and bundles" where we can. That's one
reason I've always been reluctant to see the Felix Http Service
"adorned" or extended with features beyond the standard. I can see how
beneficial such extensions are, but they then mean bundles and
applications using the extended services couldn't easily swap to an
alternate "standard" Http Service. It's a challenge to "lock-down" Jetty
so we get the best of it's optimised Http handling without some of the
features that aren't part of the OSGi spec, but I believe it's a
worthwhile one.

-- Rob