felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Look at migration to more recent Jetty version (FELIX-55)
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2008 16:53:01 GMT
Felix Meschberger wrote:
> I took a stab at migrating the http.jetty bundle to a more recent Jetty
> version. For the moment I took Jetty 5.1.12, because it is said to be
> supporting back to JDK 1.2 whereas Jetty 6.1 is supported for JDK 1.4
> and higher only.
>
> After reading the issue again, I started working on Jetty 6 integration
> - it takes some time to grock the details, but I think, I am coming
> closer :-)
>
> One point with Jetty 6 is, that it requires Java 1.4 or higher and
> Servlet API 2.5. This would of course "disable" support for older VMs.
> Of course, this migrated http.jetty bundle would not be working with the
> older servlet.api bundle any more.

Well, the spec requires Servlet 2.1, so this will actually create
something that is not quite spec.

> Richard OTOH seems to be working on a lightweight implementation still
> supporting 1.2. So I could imagine, that we could be going forward with
> two versions: The most modern Jetty 6 based one and the most-lightweight
> one by Richard.

Well, I won't go as far as saying that I am working on a lightweight
impl of the HTTP service, but I was playing around with creating a
simple file-based HTTP server and thought that it could potentially be
useful as a foundation for a lightweight HTTP service implementation.
However, I probably won't be able to spend much time on that right now,
since any extra time I have should go into Felix 1.2.0...

I would be willing to give advice/feedback/encouragement to someone
willing to work on it.

-> richard