felix-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Lenzi <kis...@interfree.it>
Subject Re: Coding Standards [was [Quick vote] Coding Standard for Import Statements]
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2007 17:44:24 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> I changed the subject for this general discussions, more comments below.
>
> Marcel Offermans wrote:
>> If you don't mind, I do have a comment about this quick vote.
> Sure, I don't mind :) - quiet the opposite :)
>
>> Let me
>> start by stating that I think that coding standards are important. In
>> fact, I was one of the people who pushed for them and came up with the
>> draft for the first version of the document.
>>
>> However, I think the real discussion we should have is about formatting
>> source code. Do we want to somehow make sure all code is formatted
>> exactly the same? Does this mean we need to standardize on a single IDE
>> or a separate formatting tool?

I would like to propose the integration of maven-checkstyle-plugin in
order main POM so that we can keep an eye on non-complaint sources.
Furthermore, we can store the checkstyle and formatter configuration in
our SVN repository, as many projects do. Also by exploiting a common
public location (the SVN repository in this case) containing a set of
configuration file (both for checksyle and code formatting) we can
auto-configure IDEs by an ad-hoc tuned POM.

What do you think?