felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Karl Pauls" <karlpa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Scheduling sub-project releases
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2007 08:53:27 GMT
> The message from Lucas Galfaso was actually well timed.
>
> At ApacheCon I was talking with Felix Meschberger about our need to
> actually start making official releases of our sub-projects. Actually,
> my thinking was motivated by the recent users@ message from Matthias
> Luebken, where he was asking about how to get access to our service
> implementations. Both of these recent messages illustrate that we need
> to improve on the current situation.
>
> In general, we have sub-projects that are in good shape and some that
> are experimental. My view is that we should attempt to make official
> release of all sub-projects as long as they do something useful (i.e.,
> as long as it is not too unstable). My thinking is that they only way we
> will start getting feedback for JIRA issues and possible contributors
> for our sub-projects is by making them reasonably easy to access.

I agree, it would be very useful to get this going :-)

> So, I think we need to make a list of which sub-projects we should
> target for release (sub-project contributors should speak up about their
> sub-projects) and start releasing them, giving them an appropriate
> version number to indicate their level of completeness/stability.

I can release the event admin.

> It would also be good for us to figure out how we can create an OBR
> repository for our released bundles.

That would be great. The latest maven plugin developments should make
this easy right?

> This will likely involve a bit of effort, but if we actually want people
> to use our stuff, we have to make it easy for them to do so. Let's try
> to jump start this activity.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -> richard

I do think it is about time to get some of our sub-projects out. As
mentioned above, I can do the event admin but some other people need
to volunteer to do the releases for other projects.

regards,

Karl

--
Karl Pauls