felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Scheduling sub-project releases
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2007 02:28:57 GMT
The message from Lucas Galfaso was actually well timed.

At ApacheCon I was talking with Felix Meschberger about our need to
actually start making official releases of our sub-projects. Actually,
my thinking was motivated by the recent users@ message from Matthias
Luebken, where he was asking about how to get access to our service
implementations. Both of these recent messages illustrate that we need
to improve on the current situation.

In general, we have sub-projects that are in good shape and some that
are experimental. My view is that we should attempt to make official
release of all sub-projects as long as they do something useful (i.e.,
as long as it is not too unstable). My thinking is that they only way we
will start getting feedback for JIRA issues and possible contributors
for our sub-projects is by making them reasonably easy to access.

So, I think we need to make a list of which sub-projects we should
target for release (sub-project contributors should speak up about their
sub-projects) and start releasing them, giving them an appropriate
version number to indicate their level of completeness/stability.

It would also be good for us to figure out how we can create an OBR
repository for our released bundles.

This will likely involve a bit of effort, but if we actually want people
to use our stuff, we have to make it easy for them to do so. Let's try
to jump start this activity.

Thoughts?

-> richard