felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Yang Paulex" <paulex.y...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Felix on Harmony (was Re: Anyone used Felix succesfully under Harmony?)
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2007 08:14:08 GMT
2007/9/7, Felix Meschberger <fmeschbe@gmail.com>:

> Hi Paulex,
>
> If you have issues with the URL Handlers Service of Felix you can switch
> it off by setting the framework.service.urlhandlers property to false
> (see also [1]). This is currently also the only solution to run the
> Felix framework in an environment, which already sets the Java runtime
> URLStreamHandlersFactory such as application servers.

thanks a lot, Felix, I'll have a try.

Am Freitag, den 07.09.2007, 14:32 +0800 schrieb Yang Paulex:
> > After some tracing, I finally found these two constants in
> > framework/src/main/java/org/apache/felix/framework/URLHandlers.java:
> >     private static final String DEFAULT_STREAM_HANDLER_PACKAGE = "
> > sun.net.www.protocol";
> >     private static final String DEFAULT_CONTENT_HANDLER_PACKAGE = "
> > sun.net.www.content";
>
> You might also try to set the standard properties
> "java.protocol.handler.pkgs" and "java.content.handler.pkgs" to the
> harmony packages. This would not require touching the framework code.

Yes, I understood this should work, but I'm not sure it's a solution,
because this properties is provided to applications, so I'd rather leave
this alone for Harmony as a JRE, otherwise, it may be overridden by
application settings.

> My current thoughts is, is it possible for Felix's URLHandlers.java to
> only
> > handle the Felix interested protocals("Felix://"?), and just ignore
> others
> > (return null in createURLStreamHandler()), and actually java.net.URLwill
> > try to handle them with builtin URLStreamHandlers. If I find some time
> > recently, I'll try if this works. But I'd like to hear from Felix guru
> at
> > first if this has any potential problems, i.e., it may be intentional
> > behavior to load JSE built in handlers at first.
>
> This will probably not work because the Felix handlers exist to
> implement the OSGi URL Handlers Service Specification which allow for
> the registration and unregistration of custom URL Stream and Content
> handlers.
>
> The check for the configured handlers exists to not overwrite any
> pre-configured handler from the environment with a handler provided from
> within the framework. This is also specified in section 11.3.2 (Built-in
> Handlers) of the core specification: "[...] built-in handlers should
> take priority over handlers from the service registry to guarantee
> consistency. The built-in handlers, as defined in the OSGi execution
> environments must never be overridden." (page 266 of the R 4.1 Core
> Spec)

I see,  thanks you for the explanation.

Actually, URL Handlers is the issue of another Felix issue (FELIX-38
> [2]). The attached fix is probably not usable due to licensing issues
> and a new implementation has to be devised.

Regards
> Felix
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-38#action_12504409
> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-38

I have another question actually, I'd like to explore if Harmony can support
Felix completely, the best way I can imagine is to run the Felix's test
suites, but I canont find how to run it if there are any available, neither
on felix websites nor in the build.xml, would anybody help?

Or an alternatives is to try some applications as scenario tests, so does
anyone have suggestions which application/scenario will be the best
candidate as start? I've executed several simple commands on Felix's shell
like "version", "services", "obr", etc, but IMO it's far from enough but a
smoke test.

--
Paulex Yang
China Software Development Lab