felix-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Committers != PMC
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2007 07:25:52 GMT
On Aug 28, 2007, at 7:53 , Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> as I found out the hard way, it seems that some of our committers are
> not on the pmc. In general, the pmc should include all committers
> as the
> pmc is the oversight of the project (of course there are exceptions to
> this rule).
>
> I think we should invite all committers who are currently not in
> the pmc
> to join.

I'm no Apache guru, if committers == PMC I don't see why there are
two roles at all. By looking at http://apache.org/foundation/how-it-
works.html#roles it seems to me that it's very well possible that the
PMC is a subset of the "developers and committers". Looking at a
couple of other projects (I could find lists for Cayenne and
Geronimo, but did not look at all of them) they both have a
difference between committers and PMC members.

In short, as long as there are two roles I don't think we should
invite all committers to become PMC members by default.

Greetings, Marcel