felix-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Releasing Commons
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2007 22:28:26 GMT
On Aug 6, 2007, at 23:47 , Karl Pauls wrote:

> It might just be me so fell free to ignore this if nobody else has a
> strange felling about providing and maintaining all those artifacts...

I agree the most natural place for maintaining those artifacts, which
basically just add meta-data to the existing libraries, would be the
commons project itself. The same goes for the Maven plugins we are
maintaining now. Perhaps we should really make an effort to get them
included in those projects. Perhaps the people within Felix that
maintain them now can keep maintaining them as part of those projects.

On the other hand, if those projects have no interest at all in
maintaining them, then I think we should somehow make them available
ourselves. That might just mean having them in our repository for
interested parties to use themselves though.

I guess we are at a point where we should start considering what we
actually want to release as part of Felix. I mean we have a lot of
bundles in our repository, and we have been working hard to get the
core released. Now that that is done, we can start looking at other
stuff, and I think we should come up with some kind of policy for
doing releases of bundles (or subprojects). What quality standards do
we want to impose upon ourselves? When is a bundle ready for release?
Does it need unit tests? A certain amount of code coverage? Design
and user documentation? Which bundles are actually used in "real
world" projects now? I think it's important that we can be proud of
the things we release, and be confident that we've done our absolute
best to make sure they actually work well.

Perhaps I'm rambling on a bit here... feel free to give your opinion
on this! :)

Greetings, Marcel