felix-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Felix Shell TUI and JLine
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2007 07:25:13 GMT
On Aug 29, 2007, at 1:04 , Stefano Lenzi wrote:

> Richard S. Hall wrote:
>> What sort of requirements does it have on platform, resources, etc?
>
> Anyone can find more information on:
> http://jline.sourceforge.net/
>
> By looking at the pom it seems that JLine rely on standard JRE 1.3,
> and even if it's not pure Java it runs on Linux, Mac OS X and
> Windows. For windows it loads an internal DLL and on the other
> platform it uses the stty command.

Having native code automatically means it is restricted to certain
platforms, therefore I would suggest to not make this part of the
shell TUI itself, since that would mean it would not work everywhere
(think embedded platforms here, I agree that the Windows, Mac and
Unix support covers most desktop platforms).

In my opinion, we should either make it some kind of extension, or
create a second TUI implementation altogether.

Greetings, Marcel