felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Stuart McCulloch" <stuart.mccull...@jayway.net>
Subject Re: Releasing Commons
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2007 19:59:51 GMT
On 16/08/07, Daniel Fagerstrom <danielf@nada.kth.se> wrote:

> Karl Pauls skrev:

> >> Have some trust in community power. If people find it useful there will
> >> be feedback and improvements, and sooner or later it will be good
> >> enough. If people not are interested, it doesn't matter if the quality
> >> is low.
> >>

> > But that is the issue. I haven't seen that much activity around it
> > that I would trust in the community (as it is now!). Let's assume we
> > do the release and lots of projects start using our wrappers - I bet
> > sooner rather then later we have to start creating several wrappers
> > per project (to match different versions) then we end-up maintaining
> > 40 something artifacts (in many cases making version decisions for
> > them too).
> >
> I understand your concern and can agree about that it might be to early
> to release Felix commons now. Several of the bundles I have looked at
> could need some more polishing before they are ready for a release.
>
> I think automated snapshot releases of Felix Commons to some Maven
> repository would be a reasonable level.

releasing snapshots is a good idea, but I'd suggest *not* using the central
snapshots repo, as that tends to pull in all sorts of other maven snapshots
when you add it to your project :)

It makes it easy to use the
> artifacts for other projects (I have no problem with checking out and
> build Felix, but it increases the threshold for my co-developers to get
> started with OSGi). At the same time is a snapshot release not much of a
> commitment from the Felix community, no one expect the snapshot releases
> to be forever back compatible or even released.
>
> > I just have the feeling that this might be a bit to much for us. We
> > already have lots of sub-projects and could start a couple more
> > without even thinking much but we still don't have all the core
> > features implemented. If we now get spammed with questions, feature
> > requests, and bug reports regarding wrapped artifacts ...
> >
> That might be part of it if Felix Commons is successful. But as Felix is
> a volunteer effort, no one has even the slightest right to ask you to do
> anything about it if you don't feel like it. But that is normally only a
> (small) part of the story for a successful subproject, what the
> community also get is that interested people generate patches and
> oversight and that the community becomes larger.

I also think it has the benefit of spreading the Felix name and
could bring more people over to try out the framework instead
of just defaulting to Equinox/Eclipse

/Daniel

--
Cheers, Stuart