felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Karl Pauls" <karlpa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Committers != PMC
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2007 18:59:35 GMT
On 8/28/07, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 August 2007 16:01, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > Putting it very simple, committers
> > can commit and the PMC can make the decisions like voting (on project
> > related stuff like new committers etc.), veto a commit etc.
> There are several camps across the ASF. Anything that Stefano has had a hand
> in to start, seem to be "default PMC member" and many other projects in Java
> land has followed, but as others here point out, not all has done this.
> *I* have no strong opinion either way.
> AFAIK, committers(!) have the veto rights to individual commits.

Not according to http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html. There it says:

"However, the basic rule is that only PMC members have binding votes,
and all others are either discouraged from voting (to keep the noise
down) or else have their votes considered of an indicative or advisory
nature only...Only votes by PMC members are considered binding on
code-modification issues, however."

> PMC decides "general direction" and "releases". And there are some arguments
> whether it must be the PMC who decides on new committers, since some
> documentation and practices show that it is the other committers.
> And rightfully so, each project defines its own rules and guidelines, as long
> as they don't contradict the ASF by-laws and other legal requirements. It is
> also expected that projects follow the "spirit of ASF", which are the
> unwritten parts that Carsten mentions.
> I hope this is a gentle "contemporary history" lesson... ;o)
> My own opinion is; Let's continue with past practice for now, and see where
> that brings us. This is still an "infant project", trying to stand on its own
> legs.
> Cheers
> Niclas

Karl Pauls