felix-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Committers != PMC
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2007 10:04:29 GMT
Karl Pauls wrote:

> If it is a rule it should be written done somewhere no? Furthermore,
> as Marcel points out, it definitely is not the case for a lot of other
> Apache projects. Let alone that we are free to define our on processes
> and rules I don't think I'd like a "lets just make all commiters PMC
> members" rule. We do have a way to do this in Felix btw. (the last
> person we added was Niclas) as you probably know.

>>> In short, as long as there are two roles I don't think we should invite
>>> all committers to become PMC members by default.
>> Hmm, why not? What do we loose? We have some committers here who are not
>> in the pmc and really should be on the pmc.
> Well, your are on the PMC so it should be easy to propose those people
> you think really should be on it to the other PMC members. Honestly, I
> do not completely understand what you are trying to do here. The
> process is clear - if you want certain people on the PMC you are free
> to propose them and call a vote on the private list.
Okay, in other projects at Apache we reverted the process, so its up to
the committers to say "hey, i want to be part of the pmc". But as you
said, it is up to us to define these rules. I think it makes sense to
give the people who do the stuff the power to make decisions about the
project. If they don't want to, well, no problem.
Anyway, so I'll just propose all committers who are not on the PMC as
new members, right? :)

Carsten Ziegeler

View raw message