felix-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Committers != PMC
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2007 08:01:37 GMT
Marcel Offermans wrote:
> On Aug 28, 2007, at 7:53 , Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> as I found out the hard way, it seems that some of our committers are
>> not on the pmc. In general, the pmc should include all committers as the
>> pmc is the oversight of the project (of course there are exceptions to
>> this rule).
>>
>> I think we should invite all committers who are currently not in the pmc
>> to join.
>
> I'm no Apache guru, if committers == PMC I don't see why there are two
> roles at all.
The difference is a very thin line. Putting it very simple, committers
can commit and the PMC can make the decisions like voting (on project
related stuff like new committers etc.), veto a commit etc.

> By looking at
> http://apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles it seems to me that
> it's very well possible that the PMC is a subset of the "developers and
> committers". Looking at a couple of other projects (I could find lists
> for Cayenne and Geronimo, but did not look at all of them) they both
> have a difference between committers and PMC members.
The general rule (though not a written one) is to try to get all
committers on the pmc.

> In short, as long as there are two roles I don't think we should invite
> all committers to become PMC members by default.
Hmm, why not? What do we loose? We have some committers here who are not
in the pmc and really should be on the pmc. And it's just an invitation;
if someone feels that she does not want to be on the pmc, that's fine as
well.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler