felix-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Releasing Commons
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:03:10 GMT
On Tuesday 14 August 2007 05:56, Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
> I tried to use the Felix Commons version of commons-loggings, but its
> required dependency graph was huge.

Your case is specific to logging[1] and IMHO not really representative.
Secondly, you have a strong point that "good wrapping requires effort", which
I totally agree with. And in fact, that is one good reason to question
the "en masse" wrapping of thrid-party jars that people embarked on here,
without much second thought whether the bundle would work or not. My point
is, this is a separate concern.

What Stuart is essentially saying is that the Maven Bundle plugin can use a
POM artifact (housed at Felix, sure) that will do the wrapping at your end
for you. No need to create a copy of repo1.maven.org which just has different
manifest in the jars and another POM.
End of the day, every built bundle that is wrapping the same third-party jar
will be identical (probably some Build-Date entry will differ), without
effort on your part. Is that bad? Or is it just that you need to use the
Bundle plugin that bothers you? I think it is just that you assumed that you
have to put in an effort...

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

[1] Just use Pax Logging and all your logging problems should be gone (or I
promise I'll do all I can to fix them.) Soon will release a 1.0 version, when
I have managed to run it against the OSGi Alliance TCK.