felix-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: svn commit: r554318 [1/2] - in /felix/sandbox/donsez/monitoradmin: ./ doc/ src/ src/main/ src/main/java/ src/main/java/org/ src/main/java/org/apache/ src/main/java/org/apache/felix/ src/main/java/org/apache/felix/monitor/ src/main/java/org/osgi/
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2007 18:43:20 GMT
On Jul 9, 2007, at 19:52 , Richard S. Hall wrote:

> Since the sandbox is for conducting experiments on code that might
> never be officially released into the trunk, perhaps we shouldn't
> be using the official package space...for example, we could use
> something like "org.apache.felix.sandbox.*" or something.

> Of course, if you are experimenting with a branch of something that
> is already in the trunk, then this wouldn't be necessary, but for
> unbranched experiments it seems like we are opening up the
> potential for naming clashes.

You say yourself that we cannot always use this convention, so I'd
say it's not necessary to have it. I think we should just agree that
code in the sandbox can never by released officially (neither as
snapshots, nor as parts of official releases). That eliminates most
problems if you ask me.

> Further, we need to have some overall agreement when assigning
> official package names, so this probably shouldn't be done in
> someone's sandbox. If an experiment moves from someone's sandbox
> into the trunk, then we should decide what its official package
> name should be.

Yes, I agree, that is the time to formally review the code and
package naming is one of the issues that should be reviewed.

Greetings, Marcel