felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Karl Pauls" <karlpa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 1.0.0 subprojects release candidates
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2007 09:58:54 GMT
> If we want to vote on something, we have to vote on the tarball. That's
> the only thing that counts in terms of distributions/releases.

Well, that is what we plan to do if nobody has any issues with the
release candidates. This is not a vote but a heads-up.

> This also means, if these release are meant to be the final 1.0.0
> release, the archive we vote on has really to be 1.0.0. With the
> consequence that if the vote should fail, there will be no real official
> 1.0.0 release, the appropriate changes have to be made and the next
> archive to be voted on will be 1.0.1.

Right, and to catch a failing vote early we are asking people to look
at what we are planning to release.

> If these are "potential" release candidates (I dont find a better
> english term right now but I hope you get what I mean), than labelling
> them rc or rc1 is fine, but this also means once we want to release a
> 1.0.0 a new archive has to be cut and a new vote has to be started.

True. This is what we are going to do.

> Now, I know this sounds like a pain but its the offical release policy
> and wants you are adapted to it, its really easy as you don't have to do
> any "magic" to change the release archvie from 1.0.0-rc to 1.0.0 etc.
> Just create the release with the appropriate version number, but it out
> to a place where the committers/pmc members can download (this can be a
> public place), let them vote and either declare it official or withdraw it.

Well, I might be missing something but that is exactly what we want to
do. The only step in between is that we make release candidates
available for people to look at. That might be overkill but this will
be our first official release so I'd rather like as much feedback as
possible.

regards,

Karl

--