felix-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Walker <r...@ascert.com>
Subject Re: Do we need javax.servlet?
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2007 06:03:45 GMT

> My idea was to release the latest versions of the wrapped bundles from
> commons with the exception of javax.servlet. There we could simply
> release a wrapped 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4 one after the other. Its just a
> release 2.1, update the version in the pom, release 2.2 etc.
I'm pretty sure I'm correct in saying that our company has used later
versions of servlet that 2.1 with no adverse effects, even though our
code doesn't actually make use of features later than 2.1. So I'd stick
a tentative hand up and say that later versions seem backwards
compatible, at least in the main.

Given that - is the desire to stay on 2.1 mainly to enforce strict 2.1
adherence i.e. not even allow later features, or do we know if others
have experienced problems.

Thought being that if in the main later versions are compatible, then
there's less risk/issue in including a more recent version?

-- Rob

View raw message