felix-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: How to deal with releasing the parent POM file?
Date Sun, 08 Jul 2007 05:39:33 GMT
On Friday 06 July 2007 20:30, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> To make separate releases of the sub projects easier, we do not specify
> the versions of these sub projects in the dep mgmt of the root pom, but
> in each and every pom of the sub project. This is the only working
> solution as sooner or later module B will depend on module A, version
> 1.0 while module C will depend on module A, version 2.0.
>
> Only third party libs are rerference in the root pom with their versions
> - in the hope that all sub projects try to use the same version of third
> party libraries.

This is what I do as well.

The parent poms sits in a separate "module", and the pom at each level just
contain the <module> declarations to build it all (which doesn't work for
grand-children when we have <packaging>bundle</packaging>).

Whether or not the <dependencyManagement> sits in a parent or not is probably
a matter of taste. I like to have it there, to keep my dep versions in sync.

Cheers
Niclas